"The cemetery, on the Shepreth road, comprises 1 acre of ground, given by the late F. M. Beldam-Johns esq. and has a chapel, erected in 1912; it is under the control of the Parish Council." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. Mary for the years 1724-1971 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office and are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Bookstall.
The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridge Record Office. In addition the 1851 Census for Fowlmere is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Bookstall.
“The church of St. Mary is a fine structure of flint in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisle, transepts, north porch and a lofty embattled central tower containing 5 bells; there are two memorial windows, and there is also a monument to the Mitchell family, dated 1745 and 1748: the church was restored during the period 1870-90, at a cost of about £3,000, and has 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1561.”
“The Congregational chapel was erected in 1780: in 1870 an apse was added and an organ purchased: the chapel underwent a thorough restoration in 1878, at a cost of about £1,100, this sum including the erection of a turret containing a clock and bell: there are 409 sittings. In the village is a cross of Portland stone, erected in 1919 as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.”
[Kelly’s Directory – Cambridgeshire – 1929]
Church of England
Fowlmere, St. Mary: Records of baptisms 1562-1994, marriages 1562-1650, 1669-1991, burials 1561-1651, 1661-1999, and banns 1754-1815 reside in the Cambridge Record Office, indexed transcripts exist for baptisms, marriages and burials 1561-1991.The Bishop’s Transcripts for the years 1600-41 and 1663-1868 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. The parish register transcripts 1561-1991 are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Bookstall.
Independent Church: Records exist for baptisms 1812-37 (on microfilm) in the Cambridge Record Office with indexed transcripts of the same plus monumental inscriptions from the churchyard for the years 1840-1944.
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridge Record Office for the years 1798 (on microfilm), and 1811-1948.
[Last updated 23 April 2000 Martin Edwards]